Columbus and Delaware, Ohio Criminal Defense Attorney
If you have been charged with a drug offense in Columbus or Delaware, Ohio, contact Johnson Legal, LLC and speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Attorney David Johnson of Johnson Legal, LLC will discuss your case and assist you in fighting the charges. Call (614) 987-0192 or send an email to schedule a consultation regarding your drug charge.
During the mid-1990s, Ohio adopted a bill encouraging courts to grant probation to 4th and 5th degree felony drug offenders instead of prison. This bill led to the creation of drug courts in Columbus, Ohio.
If drug court is an alternative available for your offense, the court may choose to treat your case as drug dependency instead of a prison sentence. Completing a drug court program could result in the dismissal or reduction of the charges against you.
Under the supervision of the court, offenders receive support from treatment programs. While the drug court operates within the common pleas, municipal and juvenile court settings, they operate somewhat differently and specific guidelines must be met before the court will accept an offender into the program.
Drug Court Eligibility
Several factor must be met in order to qualify for a drug court program. Those factors include, but are not limited to:
- Must be a 4th or 5th degree felony offense;
- The offender has sufficient motivation to receive treatment and change their behavior;
- The offender is diagnosed as having a chemical dependency;
- The offender meets the sentencing guidelines for a presumption of probation.
Several factors may also militate against a drug offender qualifying for the drug court program. These include:
- Multiple previous felonies;
- Prior convictions for drug trafficking or violent crimes;
- The offense for which the offender is before the court involved the use of a gun;
- The offense for which the offender is before the court involved violence or sexual misconduct.
Columbus and Delaware, Ohio Drug Defense Attorney
If you have been charged with a drug offense in Columbus or Delaware, Ohio, contact attorney David Johnson at Johnson Legal, LLC to discuss your case. An experienced and knowledgeable drug defense lawyer in Columbus and Delaware, Ohio can help you fight the charge and achieve the best possible outcome. Contact attorney David Johnson at (614) 987-0192 or send an email to schedule a consultation to discuss your drug offense case.